Sunday 28 July 2013

Neil goes to the ACW

Using Neil Thomas' Wargaming C19th Europe for the ACW (1)


To return to my attempt to use Neil's European rules for the ACW, here is the next step.

I have a limited number of 6mm troops on 40 by 30mm bases. I plan to use these on a modified M44 board. As they are blocks, I will need to use markers for casualties.

My force pool is quite limited:

ACW Force Pool
 
CSA
USA
Infantry
10
10
Skirmishers
2
2
Cavalry
2
2
Smoothbore Artillery
2
1
Rifled Artillery
Nil
1
Generals
2
2

I will be using the Pitched Battle Scenario (scenario 1, page 51) from Neil's book so I need to modify the army selection table to fit my force pool.


Army Selection Table: Pitched Battle Scenario

 

Die Roll

Infantry

Skirmishers

Cavalry

Artillery

Generals

 

1

7

1

2

2

2

2

7

2

2

1

2

3

7

1

2

2

2

4

8

1

1

2

2

5

8

2

1

1

2

6

8

1

1

2

2
 

At the moment, I plan to use two generals for each army. When I consider the rules in more detail I intend to use the command rules, or at least a variant of them. For the artillery selection, where the USA player has 1 unit, they can use either the smoothbore or rifled piece.

Next step, lets do some army list things.

By the way, I found myself very pleased with the Bavarian blog piece, it went together really well with no formatting problems. I didn't expect to encounter any difficulties with this one but if I had any hair left it would all be gone by now!




No comments:

Post a Comment