Sunday 13 July 2014

1864 Schleswig-Holstein on the telly



I was quite a fan of Borgen the Danish political drama starring Sidse Knudsen, although I preferred the first series to the second. This October we find pretty much the whole of the Borgen cast in a new series about the 1864 conflict with Prussia and Austria. Although there is plenty of girly drama in this one, it looks like a really good series. I especially like the Prussian officer directing the siege battery!

Apart from looking forward to the series, the Danish angle is quite important to me at the moment. I have been re-reading Neil Thomas's 19th Century wargames book again recently and have been very tempted to give the 1864 scenarios a go. It also ties in with this:

I got this from the library and am finding it a really interesting analysis of Anglo-German relations prior to the first world war. The book starts in 1864 and identifies the Prussian war against Denmark as the start point for Anglo-German hostility. I can't remember the last time that a history book got me so fired up. I wish I'd had this when I was doing my A-Levels. Now to watch Argentina beat Germany in the World Cup Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment